The Holyoke Boys Club was chartered in 1892, as the sixteenth Boys Club in the nation. It was designed to further the social, educational and character development of boys, irrespective of race, color or creed. In addition to providing a gymnasium, the Club offered classes in carving, bookbinding and printing.
In 1992, the Club officially admitted girls as regular members, and changed its name from The Holyoke Boys Club to the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Holyoke, Inc. Today, the Club serves approximately 4,000 young people. Christmas @ the Club As our programs and population have expanded, the Club has moved to accommodate the growth.
Our first home was in a Methodist Church building on Main Street, where we were for 10 years. In 1905, the Club acquired property on Race Street known as the "Merrick property," which included three houses. One of the houses was remodeled, and the Club moved in 1907. Fourteen years later, the Club moved to another building on Race Street, which was home until 1969 when we moved to our present location at 70 Nick Cosmos Way. In The Present In 1998, the Club embarked on a capital campaign to adapt once more to changing times and needs.
The objective of the campaign was to make the building more accessible to youth with disabilities; refurbish the gymnasium and pool; make the building more accommodating to girls; and outfit the building with technology. Thanks to the generosity of our community, the campaign raised over $1,000,000, and the Club received a significant "facelift." Always evolving, the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Holyoke is proud to be a partner in the historic purchase of Mt. Tom, which will eventually provide youth throughout the Pioneer Valley with a year-round outdoor recreational facility.